CLERGY & STAFF
Father Nick Larkin
Faith Formation Director
In November 1911, forty families in the Welby vegetable farming area, gathered to discuss building a Catholic church. A month later one acre of land was purchased from the Denver-Laramie Railroad and work began on building history.
The Italian descent farmers would meet in Rotolo’s grocery store until the church was built. The original cost of the church was only $1300.00. On May 12, 1912 the church was completed and dedicated to the Blessed Mother under the title of the Assumption.
In October of 1912 the church was offered to the Order, the Servants of Mary, who were staffing Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The Servite Order remained at Assumption until June 2003. In 1941 the vestibule was added along with the west bell tower.
Then in 1947, the church was completely torn down, except for the vestibule and the west bell tower. When the freeze on building was lifted after World War II, a second bell tower was built. Many original items were used in the new church.
In 1920, construction for a Catholic school had begun. The school opened in September of that same year to 250 students in grades kindergarten through high school. The school was placed in the care of the Sisters, Servants of Mary.
In 1950 ground was broken for a gymnasium and a kitchen, so the women of the parish had a place to cook their famous Annual Spaghetti Dinner. This added to the school. A garage was built alongside the kitchen that eventually became the cafeteria. The high school closed in 1952.
Church & School Remodeling
On May 6, 1962, with Fr. Julius M. Porcellini, O.S.M. as pastor, the parish celebrated it’s 50th anniversary. A fund drive was held to finance improvements to the parish buildings. The front rectory was removed and a hallway was constructed to join the church and rectory buildings. A new front was added onto the school, creating more office space. Mass was celebrated and dinner followed.
In 1978 extensive remodeling was done to the school and the church.
New lights and new carpet were installed in the church.
The stained glass windows were covered on the outside with ½ inch protective sheet of Lexan.
The gymnasium was painted.
A new floor, and evaporative coolers were installed in the school.
All school ceilings were lowered and all windows were replaced.
All electrical work was brought up to fire regulation code.
A new fire alarm system and public address system was installed.
The community of Assumption has always been the backbone of this parish, from the “Renew” program in the 1980’s to the “Follow Me” program in the early 2000’s. The gem of this parish goes to the annual BAZAAR and SPAGHETTI DINNER.
Originally, the Spaghetti Dinner was a part of the annual Bazaar. The school children enjoyed this as they were given two days off from school. The bazaar was a four-day event, Thursday through Sunday in November. The bazaar has flourished into the biggest funding and social event of the year at Assumption Parish. It is still reminiscent of the 1920’s.
In 1963, however, the annual Bazaar was moved from November to the summertime, and called the “Outdoor Bazaar”, as we know it today. It provides an incredible opportunity for community, stewardship, socializing, and enjoyment. For more information on our annual “Outdoor Bazaar” event, contact the parish office.
The Spaghetti Dinner is still a parish favorite. This annual event is coordinated by the Mollinaro family for all to enjoy. Normally hosted in November, it provides another wonderful occasion to celebrate our community of Assumption Parish.
In 2003, after 90 years, the Servants of Mary relinquished Assumption Parish to the Archdiocese of Denver. Fr. Peter Dinh became the first diocese priest to serve Assumption. Fr. Peter remodeled the church offices, updated the school, installed new carpet in the church, and remodeled the church sanctuary with marble.
A magnificent, new organ was purchased and installed in the choir loft. Air-conditioning units were set up and installed to make the Sunday Masses more comfortable.